Shield Mutual takes your security seriously. That said, Shield Mutual membership is not something you likely want to hide. As more people find out about us, our power to advance liberty and prosperity only grows. Security is, however, a critical component of Shield Mutual’s mission. Consider these security features:
- Optional Anonymity. Use an anonymous email address and a fake name. Take countermeasures when visiting our website and communicating with us so that your location is (nominally) untraceable. Use a pass-phrase to identify yourself when you file an aid request.
- Encrypted Email. You can communicate with us via encrypted email. This is excellent security for your communications.
- Pay Anonymously. Achieve a level of anonymity (but not necessarily untraceability) when you pay with cryptocurrency.
- Secure Browsing. You can browse this website securely using 256-bit SSL: https://ShieldMutual.com. Key payment and other pages are only accessible via secure browsing and the rest of the Shield Mutual website is SSL-optional.
- Offshore Location. Key staff and services are currently located outside the official legal jurisdiction of the United States. The Principal is in South America. The email service is hosted in France. The shieldmutual.com domain is registered with a company located in France. The website is currently hosted in Atlanta, however. As we grow, we will be able to finance offshore hosting and a more secure email service.
Given that the Shield Mutual model leverages openness for greater effectiveness, security should not be an overriding concern. We’re not doing anything illegal here. In fact, we want the world to know what we’re doing. Read about the Shield Mutual Vision to find out why.