Shield Mutual defends you against aggression for a low monthly fee. We connect you to mutual aid networks and reach out to those fighting the state alone, all while building a collective bargaining power base for an orderly transition to a freer world.
A Social Defense Network
Shield Mutual is a social defense network. Our mission is to defend our customers from government aggression using, not armed patrols, but crowdsourced political pressure, public relations, proactive leadership, digital fundraising, community organizing, legal aid and the force of truth. Shield Mutual has, in just its first few years, met with incredible success for our customers. We can do the same for you.
In our now fourth evolution as a counter-economic agorist enterprise, we are expanding beyond a simple wait-and-watch posture to a proactive digital communications powerhouse. We are helping our customers build personal platforms. We are fomenting agorist trade. We are building the agorist community to new heights of prosperity and security. We have a long-term vision for facilitating the evolution to a polycentric world of decentralized libertarian societies. You can be a part of it.
Shield Mutual’s values are integrity, pro-activity and nonviolence. These values dictate everything we do. Inclusivity is also important to us. We stand ready to help anyone and everyone against government aggression, no matter if we have ideological disagreements. You don’t have to be an anarchist to contract Shield Mutual coverage. You don’t even have to be a libertarian. We seek to be as transparent as possible in everything we do. We are always asking ourselves what we can do next to not just defend our customers but to also proactively prevent government attacks. Shield Mutual is nonviolent. We provide defense services, but we do not send out armed patrols. We use the force of our truth and modern media to defend against the state. And these are much more powerful than gunpowder and lead.
We take inspiration from the work of Mohandas K. Gandhi, Samuel Edward Konkin III, Gene Sharp, Henry David Thoreau, Robert Murphy, Martin Luther King and other libertarian, anarchist and nonviolence thinkers. We are an agorist enterprise. That means we are consciously taking actions that are not authorized by the government in an attempt to undermine illegitimate government power. Everyone who does this is part of the counter-economy, or the agora. Our end goal as agorists is to build a base of power outside the government sphere which will eclipse government power. The agora will then contain the government (ideally, but not necessarily, without violence) and, in its place, a diverse range of decentralized and sovereign societies can thrive in peace and prosperity.
What We do for You
“The price of justice,” said 20th century propagandist Arnold Bennett, “is eternal publicity.” That is exactly what Shield Mutual provides for our customers: unlimited, effective and uncompromising publicity, advocacy and leadership.
When governments attack, we spring into action in accordance with your instructions. We connect conscious individuals in a network for maximum impact. We produce a range of appropriate media, from websites and fliers to social media and press releases. Together with the committed community that are our members, we can:
- Deliver peace of mind, knowing that someone will speak up for you in case of aggression – someone who is under no illusions about the character of the state and its agents and who is not afraid to speak the truth on your behalf even in the face of oppression.
- Provide leadership, consistency and commitment to your advocacy needs in your moment of greatest difficulty.
- Prepare ahead of time so that you are in the best possible position in case of attack.
- Create and distribute a narrative that more accurately represents the truth than anything the police, prosecutor, judge or other bureaucrats will say about you. Since the state justice monopoly is anything but blind, having an immediate impact with a competing narrative in the public relations arena can benefit you greatly.
- Issue press releases to appropriate libertarian and other media outlets presenting your narrative in the light most likely to garner journalists’ and editors’ attention.
- Publish a website to serve as a central point of communication for the campaign to free you, or to achieve whatever your goal is.
- Organize call floods to let your attackers know that we are watching, support you, demand your immediate release, etc.
- Research legal representation options, vet them and make a recommendation as to the absolute best lawyer for your case, should you wish to hire one.
- Raise funds to bail you out, to pay a lawyer, to fund a mainstream media distribution of your press release, to sustain you or your family during the crisis or whatever you want to ask for. Successful fundraising also shows the bureaucrats who are watching that the support behind you is more than just symbolic social media comments or angry phone calls, it’s backed by money and lawyers.
- Coordinate with your friends, allies and family while you are incommunicado.
- Lead social and other media campaigns to alert supporters to your cause and inspire their solidarity.
- Plan and execute solidarity actions of whatever nature may be most appropriate.
- Speak to the media on your behalf and/or arrange interviews for you and/or your spokesperson.
- Unlimited counseling on how to frame your argument, prepare your talking points and handle media interviews.
- Reach like-minded individuals who could be inspired by you and might subsequently join our movement and follow in your footsteps.
- Raise hell however you deem necessary.
Here are some of the results Shield Mutual has helped our customers achieve:
- More than $6,000 in legal funds raised for an activist falsely arrested by federal agents in Philadelphia. The serious felony charges against him were quickly dropped by federal prosecutors.
- More than 70 videos from different individuals and a reach of 60,000 people in support of an activist being defamed by the judge assigned to him as “a very dangerous man.” We organized the campaign, solicited prizes for participating videographers, created a website and even earned media coverage. But, best of all, the judge in question wanted to take the website down.
- 1,000,000 YouTube views by creating a video of our client’s radio interview after TSA agents in Florida wouldn’t allow her to fly home. We also loaned her funds for a new plane ticket and assisted in raising funds from the community to repay the loan.
- Release from a mental hospital and funds to get back on her feet for a mom of three. We set up a website and ran a fundraising campaign. A community call flood forced her release. Community donations managed and disbursed by us helped her get back on her feet.
- Thousands of views for an activist’s cause on YouTube and other social media. We created a website and YouTube video for an activist who was arrested for wearing a hat in court. Thanks to a social media campaign, the activist’s cause was heard far and wide. A community call flood pressured the judge who caged our client.
- Pressure to release a newborn baby from state custody for a young couple. We created a website and social media campaign for the parents of a newborn baby kidnapped by state social workers. We focused community attention and got the message out online. Community call floods and protests pressured the state agency and the hospital where the baby was kidnapped and was being held. The baby was returned to her parents.
- Protection from caging and tens of thousands of social media views for a senior citizen activist. We did in-person videotaping to protect a senior activist who was being mistreated and caged for handing out pamphlets in front of courthouses. We recorded, edited and published the videos on YouTube, resulting in tens of thousands of views, a surprising level of social media attention for our client and his cause and effective protection from police abuse for our client.
- Mainstream media coverage for an activist on a hunger strike in prison. We created a website, social media campaign, CNN iReport and professionally-distributed press release for a hunger-striking activist who refused to submit to prison processing. Due to consistent attention on the part of Shield Mutual and the work of a large community of the activist’s supporters, he did multiple media interviews from prison. After 57 days he was released, having kept his hunger strike.
Please note that the greater Shield Mutual, libertarian, anarchist and other communities play a critical role in the successes of our customers. We can not do this alone.
What our Customers say About us
I was also thrilled to learn that they would cover me if I landed myself in an international incident. I traveled to Saudi Arabia last October, and although I wasn’t intending any kind of disruption, one never knows when face to face with open tyrants. The trip went off without incident, but knowing I had a media bullhorn at the ready if needed made me just a little more willing to speak my mind when confronted by sociocrats.
What makes this so revolutionary is that it’s proactive. Usually when peaceful people get thrown into cages the friends and family that sympathize with the victim’s plight only begin to organize their response after the arrest. The State is already throwing charges and scheduling hearings while the activists are still tying their shoes. And, usually the victim receives little more than hollow words of support and they’re ground to bits by the gears of the system. Shield Mutual is not reactionary. It’s at the ready when the State strikes. – Davi Barker, blogger, author and activist
In the fall of 2010, after visiting friends in Florida, I went to the Ft. Lauderdale airport to catch my flight home. Although I had no intention of staging a protest that day, the TSA decided to pick me “at random” for additional screening. They responded to my inquiry about a less invasive search option by detaining me, calling in police, putting me through interrogations, lectures, searching all my property, and eventually ripping up my ticket and escorting me out of the airport. At that point, I was stuck in Florida. No money, no plane ticket, and no way home.
Within a few hours, George Donnelly took it upon himself to get news of my predicament out to the world. It took almost no time for him to raise the funds to get me back home, and he even bought me a ticket out of an airport without the body scanners! I made it home safe, not because of the TSA; rather out of the kindness of those who oppose them. – Meg McLain, activist
I purchased a subscription a few months ago. I found the process to be pleasant, and the occasional personal email from George is nice. I hope I never have to call on his services, but I do not doubt that if I do, he will deliver as promised.
In addition, the creation of a free-market mutual protection agency is a win for our movement, and ought to be supported regardless of the likelihood of its being used. – anonymous Shield Mutual customer
One reason I took the step is that if I had to draw up a list of activists I’d like to have working for my release and publicizing my situation were I detained by state gangsters, Shield Mutual proprietor George Donnelly would show up somewhere near the top of that list.
Another reason I joined Shield Mutual is that I’m very interested in “building the new society in the shell of the old,” and projects like this one seem to be a very good first step. – Thomas L. Knapp, author, writer and activist.
The Shield Mutual Vision
Shield Mutual has a vision for an orderly and nonviolent transition from statism to decentralized libertarian societies. By hiring Shield Mutual for your protection needs, you are directly contributing to the power of a bloc of individuals whose influence can be recognized and accepted by state functionaries and the public at-large. Read about it on our Vision page.
We’re reaching out beyond our membership and known allies to disconnected individuals and groups who are under attack from governments and armed groups worldwide. Shield Mutual wants to inform, inspire and collaborate with those who are suffering due to aggression worldwide. Read about it on our Outreach page.
Social Defense Syndicates
Shield Mutual is actively interested in connecting with other defense agencies, mutual aid societies and social defense organizations. Together, we are stronger. Read about it on our Syndicates page.
We’d love to hear from you via our contact page.