Your life revolves around you. When governments attack, what happens is outside of your direct control. My intention in this video is to help you prepare for these situations, but not to scare you.
It’s important to relax when talking about these things. I find my shoulders start to creep up so before continuing, you may want to bring your shoulders up and then relax them completely several times.
If you engage in activism, or even if you don’t, you can never be sure when governments will attack you. It is best to maintain a state of preparedness. Here are some suggestions for how to prepare for going to jail or prison.
- Constant Preparation: Make sure someone close to you knows where you are, what you expect to be doing, where you expect to be going, when you expect to check in again.
- Proper medical care and checkup ahead of time. Prison does not include decent medical care.
- Have an emergency fund ready for things like commissary funds, phone calls, emergency transportation for friends and loved ones, to keep businesses going and bills paid in case the stay is longer than you expected.
- Prepare a plan for those close to you. Identify the one person who will be in charge. The last thing you want is to languish in a frigid cage while important decisions are slowly, but rarely definitively, made by committee on the outside.
- You need various contingency plans such as for obvious political charges, serious charges that the state might be able to prove, etc. You may have a different strategy for each type of charge.
- Record a video introducing yourself, what you are all about, your position on the violence vs. nonviolence question and your motivations for holding your beliefs. Make sure you have your bio and headshot(s) on file with us, as well.
I hope you find these ideas and suggestions useful!